For 2012, the Physical Agilities requirements for Entry-level fire candidates is the following:
1. 1.5 mile walk/run in fourteen minutes or less.
2. 35- bent-knee sit ups within 2 minutes. Arms are to be folded against the chest, knees are to be flexed, and a spotter will hold the feet.
3. 25- push ups within 1.5 minutes. These are to be performed without returning to an "at rest" position on the floor.
4. A sit and reach test in which a score of 11" or greater must be achieved.
5. Candidate will wear a blacked out mask with protective helmet and complete a search in a maze for a victim.
6. While wearing a 50 lb. vest and additional 25 lb. shoulder weights, the candidate will walk 4 minutes without stopping or stepping off a treadmill at moderate speed with slight incline. Candidate will wear the 50 lb vest for the remainder of the events but will have the 25 lb shoulder weights removed immediately after exiting treadmill.
7. Climb up and down a 24' extension ladder twice.
8. Using an 8 lb. hammer, the applicant shall strike a steel object until reaching determined destination.
9. Drag a simulated victim weighing at least 150 lbs. a distance of 75'.
10. Connect 100' of 1.75" fire hose to a fire hydrant, then drag the charged hose to a designated location, operate the nozzle to flow water for 30 seconds, and return the nozzle to the starting position.
*These skills may be modified.
**Please check your current Fire Dept application to verify current requirements.